Thursday, April 30, 2009

Zines















St Paul Street 3 was host to a Zine Launch by the 3rd year Design students (those studying across the rooooad).
Being partial to a good zine and having a good friend of mine’s efforts on show, I headed along to see whether or not my faith in local design could be re-ignited after last year's disappointing grad show...

And it was! Perhaps it was the zine format that design kiddos could grip onto. Perhaps it’s the fact that so many of them are already entrenched in specific sub-cultures and groups to be able to represent them authentically. Or maybe I was just slightly overwhelmed by all the free publications being thrown at me left, right and centre, it wouldn’t be the first time I tell you... Either way, most zines were well thought through, with witty pieces of writing, encapsulating the lightness and uncensored joys of the zine format.

To my surprise, a few from the Visual Arts crew (Maila, Ahi, Linda T and Chris) were representing with their D.A.N.C.E publication, one of the only colour zines there. Inside boasts plenty of pictures of their social gatherings/art installations and even a few of the mug of yours truly + co...

Will be spending the rest of the night trawling through my zine-haul. Good times.

- Agnes

No comments: