Monday, December 21, 2009

pop-up


Exciting news! Our fellow painter Kate Bedford (as well as masters student Stella and printmaker Natalia) is showing RIGHT NOW at the Pop-Up Gallery. It's a temporary seven day space in Newmarket, two doors down from a bridal boutique. Interesting choice of location in the newly developed apartment block/train station area which kind of look like prison cells and make me wonder whether at some point someone could have hired a better architect...

Newmarket, I've always envisioned as a somewhat monocultural hub of desperate housewives and consumers, and in the past has housed many Pop-Up fashion stores of similar concept (short-lived, in a bid to sell stuffs). The difference here is that although the artworks are on sale, they aren't on sale (buy two get one free deals etc) which is not only strange but would make the Pop-Up Gallery a desperate christmas shopping destination given it's context. Mind you, I wouldn't mind one of Kate's paintings for christmas...but I digress here. I guess what I'm trying to say is that all the work in the show is very good, don't get me wrong, but perhaps it is let down a little by the package. It is simple, straight up art on wall and lots of it. But what makes it go beyond that? I ask this not only of this particular gallery/idea but of, I guess, the idea of a gallery in general.

However, I'm glad Kate is showing her little bendy painting. It's too special to describe so go along and see for yourself. The Pop-Up gallery resides at 36 Remuera Road. It's open from the 18th to the 24th, 9am-6pm. Come with cash, I wonder if they giftwrap...

- Agnes

No comments: