Monday, March 1, 2010

IP








Whipped by the Ian Potter in the weekend for the last day of the Ricky Swallow exhibition (no photos allowed). Favourite part was the entire back room where they showed a small selection of works in a slightly darkened environment including the skeletal watercolours he painted from postcards in conjunction with the large still life table and an ambiguous wrapped skull sculpture on a plinth.
In other Ian Potter goodness, I stumbled across three things of interest to me. First picture above is a collection of photos shown with an audio of the Bonita Ely performance of Murray River Punch which seemed more funny given the whole Julie/Julia craze that happened recently.
Also picked out a painting that might be of interest to Claud (second photo down) and last but not least, THE Jeffrey Smart painting (third picture) which, if I were to trace the trajectory of my practice to date, would probably be placed around the beginning, if not, at the very start. Oh the hours I spent pastiching this painting and staring at it through the window of books. I did briefly see it when I last came to Melbourne, but it seems so much more relevant now with a bit of distance and having just started my new course...
In other news, forgot my camera at the Ron Mueck, major failage. Have also planned a gallery hop on Thursday where I'm hoping to blitz out a few o' the artist run spaces.
- Agnes

No comments: