Saturday, March 21, 2009

Get me to Christchurch on Time



In the flurry of the last two weeks, I had only briefly glanced at an email informing me of a new space opening up in Christchurch. It wasn't until today that it nabbed my eye again and I'm glad it did because I've now placed it on the 'Official reasons why I need to visit Christchurch this year' list.

It is opened by Paintlust who describes themselves as so:

Paintlust is a painting project. Paintlust is a group of international artists and curators whose practices show the possibilities of contemporary painting, in a time when location and nationality do not neccessarily go hand in hand. These are artists and curators whose practices exist everywhere and anywhere, during a time where painting can be anything and everything. Paintlust will take the form of exhibitions, temporary project spaces, and participate in curatorial projects around the world.

A paint collective promoting contemporary practices across nations? Sounds good to me! Another source I can leech research from? Oh. Yes.

This space is only temporary, open till mid-July. Right now, they're hosting The Cooking Show which is a collab between Japanese artists Limocon and NZ artist Seung Yul Oh. Looks like a sweet sweet show and if anyone has visited and would like to tell us (painters stuck in Auckland in the meantime) how it is, muchos appreciation.

Preferably, this really needs to go on the 'Official reasons why I need to visit Christchurch before July' list, just slightly above the 'Class Trip to Wellington' possibility and the 'Get me to Melbourne in September!' project. Too many places, not enough monetary funds.

- Agnes

No comments: