Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Of Graphs and of Space





























Thomas and I headed along to the Spatial and Graphic Design graduating exhibitions which were both on at the same time. Having been exposed to mostly only 'art' shows in the last few months, going to a Design show was a completely different informational experience as one had to view work from different eyes.

Such a transition bored me at first. I was looking at stuff at light speed, with nothing really catching my attention because most of it was already thought out for me. The answer was already there as the designer had done all the problem solving. Which rendered me, what??? What was my purpose other than to applaud the work of the designer who has figured out a more aesthetically pleasing way to rearrange my sock drawer?

The Graphic Design show was also situated at the Aotea Centre, and we all know how I feel about those terrible carpet-style display boards that they seem to covet there...so far not a good start...

But I later bumped into my friend Chris (who's a design student) and asked him to show me his favourite stall. He led me to this:



This work consisted of two books showing the designer's thoughts and research, and a final book that was his output from the gathering of the aforementioned information. When I asked Chris why he thought that this was the one thing I should see if I only had thirty seconds to spare at the show, he replied with, 'Look at the pretty pages, the printing, and the binding of the book...it's cool'. Hmmmm....could design merely just be the adoration of the services of Neville Newcombe?

And so I looked. And I realised that in order for me to understand design, I had to approach it differently than what I am normally used to. What kind of place would I have to come from? Would it be essential to have to understand each need, brief and background, in order to understand the purpose? Do I seek the same information when I enter a gallery setting?

Yes it was all very glossy and pretty. But in the end, I felt that a lot of the design I saw only lived to serve the purpose of the designer. That's not to say that there weren't a fair few that were edging on something exciting. But I don't know if they were quite there yet. I guess the world needs people who will constantly challenge the items we use and the spaces we live in and encounter everyday. And I guess thats how I should be viewing these shows.

But was I challenged?

Isn't it the designer's role to also be blowing me out of the park with their innovative thinking? Where was it tonight? There was no explosion. I'm still residing in the park...Perhaps it was merely in a different shape and form than I am normally used to? Masquerading underneath all that helvetica type and printed matter...

Perhaps I was underwhelmed because of the amount of design I am exposed to on the Internet, leaving me slightly desensitised and constantly wanting more than could have been given to me in these exhibtions? Why was I not seeing what everyone else was seeing?


why?
Why?
WHY?????


Anyway, i'm tired and i'm waffling. I think it is time for bed.


- Agnes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great review, pretty much what we thought of the Massey show in Wellington. It was hard to find work that was any different to the next for us.

I don't think you should have to come from a different approach to understand design, it should be another medium for an idea really. But sometimes it is what it is.