Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Room One Hundred and Three





Oh hello there!































Gallery hoppin' part two ensured two things:

a) more art students
b) more dodgy free booze

Rm103 had a poster exhibition by Simon Esling and Scott Satherly. Apparently there was a one man band but I think we were too late for that as I was driving like mad trying to find parking downtown (impossible feat, I know). Was particularly enamored by the giant tape cassettes and the drawings in the rooms. Was like technicolour dreamcoat meets severed thumb action. Anyone care for a giant red abject balloon coming out of a rainbow house? I do!

Then upstairs to A.C.F.A to Holly Willson's 'The Hardest Talent to Cultivate' which gave us roly-polys (rolie polie?) and hula hoop fun. I once hula hooped for an hour straight. True Fact. I particularly liked the installation of the work but was hard to navigate on opening night as people seem like to congregate in corners, thus causing an obstruction between work and me. Alas, such are the truths of openings, where you never really go to see the work do you? Or it's much harder to take in when there are other people crowding around. Does this mean that art viewing is a solitary act? I often find myself drifting from companions when I enter a gallery...mostly because I like to view works at my own pace then talk about it with said companions afterwards. Perhaps this is just me though. Which is fine.

Thomas and I wet our pants over the awesomeness of Achilles House. Sure it's a hole. And I don't think anyone should be in there for more than an hour (asbestos anyone??). But we like the deco. And we like floorboards of A.C.F.A.

Rest of the night was spent at Charlie's (another paint n baker) BF's gig where we indulged in....what kind of music do you call it? Can't be emo (i have issues with the usage of this word anyway), can't be punk, can't be pop-punk, can't be rock...anyway you get the idea. It was loud. There was a burger king crown involved. I won't go into details.

Tomorrow is Year Three Exhibition. Till then


- Agnes

No comments: